In these pages, the State Hermitage Museum and the Cuneiform Digital Library Initiative (CDLI) are privileged to present online data sets documenting the largest cuneiform collection in Russia. The access system to this significant archive of ancient documents is the result of a intensive collaboration among several institutions, led above all by the Hermitage curator N. Koslova. Within the framework of an agreement of cooperation signed in June of 2000 by the State Hermitage Museum, St. Petersburg, and the CDLI, all cuneiform tablets of the 3rd and 4th millennia in the Hermitage collection were digitized following procedures discussed in the methods pages of the CDLI. The Digital Hermitage Cuneiform Collection marks the first humanities cooperation of its kind among research and administrative staff from a major cultural heritage institution of the Russian Federation and German and American partners, foremost the Max Planck Institute for the History of Science, Berlin, and the international research project CDLI based at the University of California at Los Angeles. The full catalogue of the collection, the transliterations of documents as well as word and sign glossaries are currently in preparation. Catalogues and transliterations have been completed for the Ur III (ca. 2100-2000 BC) subset, a major part of the early collection that encompasses over 2000 documents.

По-русски

Introduction to the collection

Hermitage homepage

CDLI
 


Tablets by period:

   Late Uruk III (ca. 3200-3000 BC)
   Early Dynastic IIIb (ca. 2500-2350 BC)
   Old Akkadian (ca. 2350-2200 BC)
   Lagash II (ca. 2200-2100 BC)
   Ur III period (ca. 2100-2000 BC)
   Old Assyrian period (ca. 2000-1850 BC)
   Old Babylonian period (ca. 1900-1600 BC)
   Middle Assyrian period (ca. 1400-1000 BC)
   Hellenistic period (ca. 330-140 BC)

Tablets by text genre:

   Administrative texts
   Literary texts
   Legal texts
   Letters
   Lexical texts
   Royal/Monumental texts

Search all CDLI inscriptions



The small bowl of the ED IIIb Period (right, Erm 14396; ca. 2400 BC) carries an inscription that reads “property of the protective goddess”; click image to be directed to the text’s corresponding CDLI page.




  Copyright © Cuneiform Digital Library Initiative A cooperative effort of the State Hermitage Museum
and the Cuneiform Digital Library Initiative